1922 Gnom (Horex) Cycle Attachment Engine 62.5cc 4-Stroke
on Torpedo Cycle
Manufactured in Oberursel, Germany by Horex-Columbia between 1921 and 1923.
Very Rare German ‘Hilfsmotor” Restored and Running Order.
Freidrich Kleeman, who owned the Rex Tin Glass Co of Bad Homburg, Germany, purchased a local engine company COLUMBUS MOTORENBAU AG of Oberursel.
In 1921, his son Fritz built the Gnom cycle-attachment. This 62.5cc four-stroke engine was well built and had a very good reputation.
With the success of this first engine, in 1923 Fritz manufactured a 250cc OHV engine and turned the company into HOREX-FAHRZEUGBAU AG to market his new motorcycles as Horex.
Horex motorcycles ran until 1957 when it was taken over by Daimler-Benz.